The CBD market is constantly expanding. What had started with CBD oil as the most popular CBD product, has now expanded into different types of products to suit many people’s needs. CBD pills, edibles (CBD gummies, candies, chocolates), vapes, and even topicals (lotions, balms, and creams), are only some of the ways you can get a feel of CBD’s health benefits.
Another interesting product is CBD honey sticks. They’re much loved among users as they’re very tasty and convenient to use, so below we’ll introduce you to this CBD product and share a simple recipe so you can make your own.
What Are CBD Honey Sticks?
Starting with the basics – what are CBD honey sticks, you may wonder? For those of you who still haven’t come across this CBD edible, they’re CBD-infused honey sticks, and you can find them in two forms – solid and liquid.
The solid honey sticks are hardened honey infused with CBD, while the liquid ones, also called CBD honey straws, are thin sealed tubes filled with CBD-infused honey. They’re both great for when you’re on the go, but based on accessibility, in this article, we’ll focus on the liquid CBD honey sticks, which generally have fewer additives as well.
How Are They Made?
CBD (cannabidiol) is the non-intoxicating cannabinoid in the cannabis plant. For legal use, it is extracted from the hemp plant, which is a type of the Cannabis sativa plant. The hemp plant naturally contains large amounts of CBD and very little THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), the psychoactive compound. This means that you get all the benefits from cannabis but without the high.
Can You Get High on CBD Honey Sticks?
This is a very common concern with a lot of CBD products, and it’s completely justifiable. Full-spectrum CBD products will inevitably contain some percentage of THC, but if the CBD extract is sourced from the hemp plant, the THC will be below 0.3%. Broad-spectrum and CBD isolates will contain no THC whatsoever.
Therefore, since CBD honey sticks are infused with hemp extract and contain very little THC, they will not cause any psychoactive effects. You will still feel the therapeutic effects of CBD and likely notice a change in your mood and overall disposition, but you won’t be intoxicated.
If you take a larger amount of the honey sticks, you may slightly elevate the THC levels in your body, but it will be barely enough to get you high. However, you should remember to not go overboard with them no matter how tasty they are.
The Benefits of CBD Honey Sticks
CBD sticks are very practical and versatile. Honey is known as a superfood, so pairing it with CBD is a great way to get some beneficial compounds into your body and boost your endocannabinoid system.
Let’s see why these CBD edibles are so versatile:
- They are a great snack for when you’re on the go. Whether hardened or liquid, honey is much healthier than sugar, so whenever you need some energy boost with added benefits, you can just have a CBD stick. They’re portable and can fit in your pocket or purse, so you can take them wherever you go;
- You can use CBD honey sticks in a number of ways – you can add them to hot beverages, like tea or milk, to infuse them with some CBD goodness and add some sweetness. Or you can add them to your cereal bowl – whatever floats your boat. Honey is a source of antioxidants, so you know you’ll be ingesting something good for your body;
- Finally, the anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties of both honey and CBD make it a great topical. It may sound surprising, but if you find your skin irritated and don’t have anything else with you, CBD liquid honey sticks can do the trick just fine.
CBD is usually very well-tolerated, whether you use it for pain relief or general wellness, the chances of experiencing any side effects are slim. However, if you’re dealing with a serious medical condition or are on any prescription medications, getting a doctor’s advice first is recommended.
How to Make Your Own
If you’re into experimenting with CBD and want to try making some CBD honey sticks on your own, then we can help. Just follow these easy steps:
What you’ll need:
- CBD tincture (unflavored) – you can use an isolate, full-spectrum, or broad-spectrum CBD hemp tincture
- 2 cups of honey
- A large saucepan
- A glass measuring cup
- A packet of straws
- A candle and a lighter
- Needle-nose pliers
- Kitchen dropper
To infuse the honey:
- Fill the saucepan halfway with water and turn the stove on medium temperature. Heat the water at about 95˚F and be careful not to let it get too hot and burn those fragrant terpenes.
- Once it reaches this temperature, place the glass measuring cup inside and give it a few minutes to reach the same temperature.
- Then add half of the CBD tincture or the full bottle (assuming the bottle is the standard 30 ml), depending on how strong you want the honey to be.
- Slowly pour the honey and gently start stirring. If the honey is still a little sticky and hard to handle, let it sit for a minute or two to loosen up, and then start stirring until it becomes very liquid. All the while, you need to monitor the heat and turn it down in case it gets too hot.
- Turn the heat off and continue stirring for another minute or two just so the ingredients can fully combine.
- Remove it from heat and place it on the counter to allow the temperature to drop a little before you fill-up the straws.
Making the straws:
- Light the candle and run the edge of the straw over the flame a few times so the plastic can melt a little.
- Once melted, take the pliers and press the two softened edges together so they can stick and seal one end of the straw.
- If the infused honey has cooled off a little, to the point where it’s still liquid but not too hot to handle, take the dropper and fill it up.
- Transfer the honey to the straw but leave an inch of room from the top.
- Finally, seal the other end with the candle and pliers, and repeat until you have the desired quantity.
Final Thoughts on CBD Sticks
We’ve talked about the health benefits of CBD many times in previous posts, so it only remains to be said that the hardest choice to make is to decide which CBD product you’ll use. Of course, different people have different needs, and CBD honey sticks are only one delicious fraction of what the market has to offer.