Many cannabis users are switching to vaping because of the portability and discretion of vaporizers, as well as the smoother and more flavorful smoke. A great thing about modern vaporizers and vape pens is that they can vaporize both dry herbs and weed concentrates, as well as e-juice. It’s also good to know that e-juice can be found in most dispensaries.
In this article, we’ll give you three different methods for making weed-e-juice. However, remember that the safest way of consuming e-juice is to buy it from licensed professionals/dispensaries.
About Cannabis E-Juice
Cannabis e-juice or e-liquid is a liquid substance made to be vaporized with a vape pen or a vaporizer, very similar to e-cigarettes that contain nicotine. It’s made from a base such as glycerine or propylene glycol and cannabis extracts.
Weed e-juice has become one of the most popular methods of consuming weed because it produces a flavorful and lighter smoke, and it’s useful for both recreational and medical users.
Most e-liquids are THC-dominant, however, you can also find CBD-dominant ones if you want to avoid the psychoactive effects of THC. Cannabis e-juice is a concentrated form of cannabis which is why it can be more powerful than smoking.
The point of vaping a concentrated form of weed in the form of e-juice is to get the benefits as quickly as possible by using as little product as possible. Therefore, it’s no wonder that a single hit of vape juice is strоnger than a single smoke from a joint.
Three Methods for Making Weed E-Juice
There are three popular ways to make weed e-juice. All three methods use some form of cannabis extract and a base for the e-liquid. If you want to add some flavorings to your THC e-juice, we advise you to use herbal tinctures rather than artificial flavorings as they contain harsh chemicals. The ratio of e-juice and tinctures should be 3:1.
Please note that the following methods (below) and the entirety of this article are for informational purposes only and we do not recommend that you try them out. It’s always better to purchase vape juice from licensed manufacturers that guarantee the safety of their products. Also remember that whenever you’re working with chemicals, caution must be exercised.
Make Cannabis Vape Juice With the Simple Method
The simplest way to make a cannabis vape juice is to use a product called EJMix, which is a universal base for both oil and water-soluble herbal extracts, and it’s a blend of medical-grade glycols.
This method is the easiest one as it doesn’t take much time and it’s not complicated at all given that you’ll be using ready-made ingredients instead of starting from scratch.
- High-quality cannabis extract, preferably BHO (wax, shatter, budder, etc.)
- First, you need to melt the extract at a low temperature. The best method would be to put it in a heat-resistant container and then put the container in boiling water. However, you’ll need to be very careful to not let any water get into the extract;
- Next, mix the EJMix into the melted cannabis extract, but make sure to use either stainless steel or a silicone spatula to avoid affecting the flavor. You can start with equal parts of both EJMix and concentrate, but if you want a less intense vape juice, you should use a 3:2 ratio EJMix to concentrate;
- When the mixture is homogeneous enough, remove it from the heat and leave it to cool completely;
- Once it’s chilled, your vape juice is complete. If you find it too weak or too strong, you can easily repeat the steps by adding more concentrate or EJMix and heating the mixture to combine the ingredients;
- Load your vaporizer with the e-juice and vape away.
Make Cannabis E-Liquid With Parts of the Plant
If you don’t have access to any of the ingredients for the previous method, this one uses the cannabis plant in its natural form. This is a more complex method as you’ll have to wait for about a couple of weeks while the cannabinoids and terpenes are being extracted. However, it’s a lot more cost-effective, plus you can use whichever strain you like.
As a base, this method uses either food-grade propylene glycol (PG) or food-grade vegetable glycerin (VG). Please do not use a non-food grade base to ensure maximum safety.
- Dry herbs – 1/8 oz buds, 1/4 oz leaf, or 4 gr kief
- Propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin
- High-proof grain alcohol (at least 180 proof) such as vodka or Everclear. Never (ever) use rubbing alcohol because it’s not intended for human consumption!
- Coffee filter
- 2 mason jars (or any glass jar)
Step 1 – Decarboxylation
In order to extract the cannabinoids and terpenes from the plant material, you’ll first need to decarboxylate it. This process converts the inactive cannabinoids THCA and CBDA into the active cannabinoids THC and CBD.
Break the cannabis buds or leaves into smaller pieces using your hands and spread them (or the kief) on a baking sheet. Put the pan in the oven at 220 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30-40 minutes or until it looks brownish-yellowish green. When it’s done, leave it to cool completely before you proceed.
Step 2 – Making the extraction
Now it’s time to extract the cannabinoids and terpenes from the plant material.
- Put the cannabis in the mason jar and add the alcohol over it, just enough to submerge it plus about an inch on top. Close the jar tightly and place it in a cool and dark place for 10-14 days to allow the alcohol to extract the THC and CBD effectively. During this time, make sure to shake the jar vigorously at least once a day. Some of the alcohol will evaporate, so if you notice this, just top it up to prevent mold from forming until the time is up;
- The next step is to strain the liquid. Line the funnel with the coffee filter and the cheesecloth, in that order. This is to ensure that no tiny pieces of weed end up in your e-juice. Strain the liquid into the second glass jar and repeat the straining if needed;
- To ensure that there is no alcohol left in the final product, it’s best to put the jar with the tincture into a bowl of hot water of about 140-175 degrees Fahrenheit. Use a thermometer to monitor the temperature because if it gets any higher, it may harm the terpenes. When the tincture gets a little thicker, it means that some of the alcohol has evaporated. Alternatively, you can leave it in the jar and leave it open for 24-48 hours to allow the alcohol to evaporate naturally;
- Next, add the propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin. Again, the ratio can be 1:1 or 3:2 base to tincture to make it milder, or however you prefer. Mix the THC e-liquid by shaking the jar vigorously for about 2 minutes;
- Let the THC vape juice cool down completely before you load it into your vape cartridge.
Make Weed E-Liquid With Rosin
Making rosin for DIY THC vape juice is many users’ preferred way because it’s safe, easy, and produces a flavorful concentrate. To make rosin, you don’t need a solvent, just some tools that you probably have at home.
- 1/8 oz cannabis buds
- Electric hair straightener
- Parchment paper
- Dab tool or razor blade
- Wax liquidizer or Medical Terpenes
- Glass jar or Pyrex measuring cup
- Small glass container
- Turn on the straightening iron and set it to a temperature of 250-280 degrees Fahrenheit;
- Cut a piece of the parchment paper that should be larger than the straightening iron when it’s folded in half and sandwich some of the cannabis in between the folds;
- Then, press the paper tightly with the straightening iron and hold for about 5 seconds. Be careful not to burn the buds or the paper and release immediately if you notice it burning. Otherwise, after 5 seconds, you should notice a small amount of green or brownish resin on the parchment paper;
- Repeat the process again with the rest of the buds using different parchment paper with each round;
- Let the rosin cool for a while or place it in the freezer for a minute or two before you use a dab tool or a razor blade to scrape it off the parchment paper. Roll the rosin you’ve scraped into a small ball and place it in a small glass container (or the Pyrex);
- Next, for each gram of rosin add 2 milliliters of wax liquidizer or medical terpenes;
- Then, it’s time to combine the two. Boil some water in a small saucepan, and once it’s boiled, remove it from the stove and place the glass container into the water. Stir well until the ingredients are combined;
- Leave the e-juice to cool before using a syringe to load the vaporizer.
Vaping is a great way to get medicated or to experience a solid high, and for these reasons, many users switch from smoking to vaping. The vapor is also much more flavorful and aromatic (which enhances the whole experience).
Still, it’s important to remember that making your own THC e-juice is not entirely recommended (for safety reasons) and to always be cautious when working with chemicals and extractions.