According to the Global Drug Survey, cannabis edibles are becoming a very popular way of consuming marijuana all over the world. You can buy them from your local dispensary in the form of chocolate bars, lozenges, gummies, cakes, cookies, and, of course, weed brownies. You can also make your own DIY ones according to your preference.
Cannabis edibles have a different timeline for the onset of effects compared to smoking weed, given that the effects can be felt as early as 30 minutes after consumption. Moreover, weed brownies affect individuals differently depending on their tolerance of weed and how much they’ve consumed, although the most general effects include feelings of euphoria, calmness, and relaxation.
While you can certainly make cannabis brownies by using a boxed brownie mix, it’s far more satisfying to make them from scratch. You can not only adjust the ingredients to your own liking, but you can also modify the potency of the cannabis brownies according to your specific taste. Below you’ll find a step-by-step recipe for making your own weed brownies, and information about how you can make your edibles more potent.
Important Steps Prior to Making Weed Brownies
Before you start making your own pot brownies, you need to have a few things on hand.
Decarbed Weed for Your Marijuana Brownies
To be able to make cannabutter or cannabis oil for your marijuana edibles, the weed first needs to go through the decarboxylation process. This process converts the tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCA) and cannabidiolic acid (CBDA) to the psychoactive cannabinoid tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), and the sedative cannabinoid cannabidiol (CBD). Once your weed is decarbed, you can proceed to make your quick weed oil, or your cannabis butter.
Infused Butter or Cannabis Oil
You could either choose to put canna oil or cannabis butter in your pot brownies depending on your preferences. You could buy infused butter or infused oil at your local dispensary, or make them at home on the stovetop or in your crockpot.
To make your infused butter or oil at home, melt your coconut oil or unsalted butter over low heat, and add the decarboxylated weed to the saucepan. Cook the mixture for 45 minutes, remove it from the heat, and strain it through a cheesecloth to separate the plant matter from the liquid fat. Your butter or oil can be used in your weed brownies, and the leftover plant matter can be used to make cannabis tea.
To make your homemade weed brownies, you will only need a few ingredients (and a bit of your time).
Ingredients for Marijuana Brownies
The recipe calls for the following ingredients and materials:
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour;
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder;
- ½ teaspoon sea salt;
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder;
- ½ cup cannabis coconut oil or cannabutter;
- 1 cup white sugar or cannabis sugar;
- ¼ cup brown sugar;
- 2 large eggs;
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract;
- Chocolate chips;
- Parchment paper;
- Baking pan;
- Mixing bowls;
- Cooking spray.
- Nuts (pecans, peanuts, almonds);
- Chocolate chips;
- Cocoa powder.
Pot Brownie Recipe
To make your own weed brownies you can follow the easy, step-by-step recipe below.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180°C).
- Grease the metal baking pan.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and set them aside.
- In a separate bowl, blend together the cannabis oil (or cannabutter) and sugar with an electric mixer to produce a creamy texture.
- Add the eggs and vanilla to the creamed sugar and beat all the ingredients for about a minute.
- Melt the chocolate (if using) in the double boiler, and stream the chocolate mixture in the eggs.
- Fold the cannabutter in the chocolate and mix everything together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and combine them until everything is well incorporated.
- Place a parchment paper on the baking pan if you haven’t greased it.
- Transfer the batter to the baking pan and tap the pan to even out the batter.
- Add your desired toppings.
Baking the Weed Brownies
- Bake the brownies for 15 minutes, then rotate the pan, and bake for another 15 minutes.
- After 25-30 minutes, test the finished brownies with a toothpick. Keep in mind that the toothpick doesn’t need to come out clean since it has a fudge-like consistency.
- After the brownies are done baking, cool them on a wire rack for 30 minutes, and enjoy your brownies topped with ice cream or additional melted chocolate (use the double boiler method to melt your chocolate).
- Your homemade pot brownies can be stored at room temperature for 4-5 days on the countertop, a couple of weeks in the fridge, or a few months in the freezer.
How to Make Your Weed Brownies Stronger?
Dispensary-bought weed edibles have a mandated dosage of about 10 milligrams THC per edible in the US, however, you can put as much weed as you like in your homemade recipes.
The recipe above makes a standard dose of about 12 brownies, so you should tailor the THC dose per brownie from there. Use more (or less) cannabutter, depending on your preferred dose. Newbie users should consume edibles with no more than 5 milligrams of THC at a time, while experienced users could consume more potent edibles.
If you’d like to increase the dosage of your weed brownies, you might think about adding kief, more potent cannabis concentrates, or some hash oil. Keep in mind that this will greatly increase the levels of THC per brownie, so make sure you wait at least 60 minutes before going for a second dose. Consuming too many edibles may leave you impaired for hours, therefore it’s really important to consume a proper dose.
Final Thoughts on Weed Brownies
Each person has a different tolerance level when it comes to consuming weed brownies and it depends on the amount of THC per edible, your body mass index and metabolism, your tolerance to cannabis, mixing weed with other substances, or consuming laced weed. Therefore, every person will need a different number of brownies to get their desired psychoactive or sedative effects from cannabis.