Over the past decade, vaping has been steadily building its own community of users and more people are joining in. Even medical marijuana users are opting for some form of vaping. The main reason for this is that vaping weed is less harsh on the throat and lungs than smoking weed, which is why many smokers are also turning to vaping.
Another reason why people like vaporizers is because they’re discreet, portable, and easy to use and dose. You don’t need any complicated equipment, like with bongs or dab rigs, as you can just put the vape in your pocket or purse.
If you’re into DIYing and have been wanting to dab into vaping before you commit to investing in a vaporizer, or are on a tight budget for the moment, you can try making one yourself. It’s a unique device that you won’t find in a dispensary.
In this article, we’ll guide you through the most common method of DIYing your own vaporizer.
Vaporizers are pretty cool. They heat up the plant material to a certain temperature without combustion. This allows the terpenes and cannabinoids THC and CBD to be released without being partly destroyed, which also results in a more fragrant and lighter vapor.
There are many models of modern vaporizers – some are designed to vape dry herb, while some vaporize cannabis oils, concentrates, and extracts. Some vaporizers are also called vape pens because of their sleek design, similar to e-cigarettes. These come pre-filled with an e-liquid cartridge that contains cannabis oil diluted with vegetable glycerin or propylene glycol to make it easier to vape.
Vaporizers are constantly being upgraded with features like temperature control settings that allow you to adjust the vaping temp for an improved experience. Of course, DIY vaporizers don’t have this setting, but they can do the job, to begin with.
How to Make a Dry Herb Vaporizer Yourself
DIYing your own vaporizer may sound strange and complicated, but it’s actually pretty straightforward. All you need to do is assemble the materials carefully, and voilà!
The following method of making your own vaporizer is the most well-known and it requires the use of common household items. While the DIY process isn’t very difficult, it still requires precision on your part in order to make a usable and safe vaporization device.
Homemade Vaporizer Using a Lightbulb
This method is pretty easy, but you’ll need to be careful when handling the lightbulb as it’s made of thin glass and can break easily. If you want to be extra careful, we recommend you use gloves to protect your hands.
- 1 clear glass lightbulb
- A smaller screwdriver
- A corkscrew
- Duct tape or electrical tape
- 2 straws or pen tubes
- A plastic bottle cap, preferably from a 2L soda bottle (to fit the lightbulb)
- Heating element like a lighter or a candle
- Weed (of course!)
Okay, gather up your supplies and follow the steps below:
- Start with the more delicate part of the process and that is hollowing out the lightbulb. It’s best to line your workspace with a few newspapers to prevent little pieces flying around, plus it’ll be easier to clean up later.
- Use the pliers to remove the bottom ring found at the base. Using the pliers, start bending the corners and work around the ring. Start pulling and twisting on the ring until it starts coming off, but be gentle enough.
- Once it’s removed, take the screwdriver and put it through the small hole of the black glass, and start moving it back and forth to break off the black glass. This should be fairly easy.
- Then it’s time to remove the inside components (tungsten filament, support). Take the pliers and pull off the little glass tube near the filament. Then, break off the rest by putting the screwdriver through the hole and moving it back and forth until it breaks off completely.
- Make sure to hold the lightbulb upright and upside down to avoid small pieces of glass debris remaining on the inside. Finally, use the pliers to remove the remaining parts.
Please exercise caution when you’re handling the lightbulb as it’s made of thin glass and is easily breakable. It’s also recommended to wash the lightbulb and let it dry thoroughly before using it.
You’ll need to make two holes on the plastic bottle cap. You can use a corkscrew, or, if you can, you can also use a drill. However, make sure the holes are as wide as the straws or pen tubes (whichever you’re using).
Next, insert the straws or pen tubes through the bottle cap. Note that one of the straws will act as a mouthpiece for inhaling the vapor while the other will be a carburetor to clear out the vaporizer as you inhale. You can use duct tape or electric tape to secure them on the cap.
Now for the fun part. Take your grinder and grind up your weed. It’s recommended that you grind it finely because it’ll vaporize more easily. Fill the lightbulb with the weed and screw the bottle cap on the lightbulb.
Use a lighter or candle to heat up the lightbulb, but be very careful of burning yourself. Once it starts vaporizing, you will not see a thick smoke, but rather a cloudy haze. As it starts building up and filling the lightbulb, inhale through one of the straws, and sit back and enjoy.
Vaporizers are becoming pretty popular and more advanced with time in order to offer the best user experience. However, they can be pricey and not everyone is ready to invest in a vape they aren’t even sure they’ll like using. DIYing your own vaporizer is one way to dip your toes into this method of consumption and decide if you like it or if it fits your lifestyle.
Of course, it won’t offer the exact same user experience as a professional vaporizer, but it can be enough to begin with. Finally, as always, exercise caution when you handle fragile elements and heat.