One-hitters are convenient devices that many weed enthusiasts use nowadays. They hold just enough weed for a single inhalation, they’re pocket-friendly, which is very convenient, and they’re not clunky (like bongs, for example). If you’ve already gotten used to taking one hit at a time instead of committing to a fully rolled joint or a loaded bong, you might want to stick to your habits even in times when you don’t have your smoking device with you and need an alternative.
So, in this article, we’ll present you with a few methods for making a DIY one-hitter pipe, or in other words, a smoking device that can hold a small amount of weed, enough for one hit. Let’s go!
5 Easy Ways to Make a One-Hitter Pipe (with Household Items)
Everyone knows that the best one-hitter is the real deal, but when you find yourself with a baggie and without a smoking accessory, you can try to make one. One-hitters are very handy and can be a lifesaver when you want a toke, so check out our easy-to-follow methods on how to make a one-hitter pipe with household items.
1. Pen (or Marker) One-Hitter
Making a one-hitter from a pen or a marker is one of the most well-known DIY methods in the community, plus it’s incredibly easy.
Supplies You Will Need for Making a One-Hitter from a Pen or a Marker
- Pen or a marker
- Knife or scissors
- Socket wrench
How to Make a One-Hitter from a Pen or a Marker
- You’ll only be needing the pen barrel and the metal tip, so the first thing you should do is empty the pen and remove the internal parts, and then thoroughly rinse it with soap and water.
- Now it’s time to make the bowl for the weed and for this step you’ll need the conical metal tip of the pen. Simply, rotate it upside down so that the pointy end of the tip can fit into the opening of the pen (like this: >===). You might need to press it down firmly so that it doesn’t fall out. If it’s not firmly set, do not use glue or any adhesives under any circumstances because you’ll end up inhaling toxic fumes. If you need something to hold the two parts together, use a piece of gum as a safe option. Alternatively, use a lighter to melt the plastic a little bit before sticking the metal tip to the pen barrel.
- Put a cigarette filter on the other end of the pen barrel if you want a milder hit, if not, skip this part. Pack the weed into the metal tip opening facing out, light it, and start toking.
- If using a marker, empty the marker and rinse it thoroughly. Take the socket wrench and insert it inside the back of the marker. This will be your bowl, while the “writing” end will be the mouthpiece.
Pros & Cons
No DIY method is ideal, so here are both sides of the coin:
- Easy to make
- Few supplies needed
- The taste is not very good
- Can be very toxic if you inhale toxins from the ink or the plastic container
- Not recommended to use more than once
2. Toilet Paper Roll One-Hitter Pipe
Another super easy method to make a one-hitter pipe, and slightly safer than the previous one (chemicals-wise), but just as efficient is the steamroller.
Supplies You Will Need for Making a One-Hitter from a Toilet Paper Roll
- Toilet paper roll
- Aluminum foil
- Knife, scissors, or pen
- Toothpick or a needle
How to Make a One-Hitter from a Toilet Paper Roll
- To begin with, use the scissors, knife, or pen to poke a hole in the toilet paper roll, but make sure the hole is not in the center, but on one side of the roll. If you poke it in the center, the smoke won’t have enough time to cool down before you inhale it and may end up burning you. The hole should be as big as the bowl you’ll make afterward from the aluminum foil.
- To make the bowl, layer a couple of small sheets of aluminum foil and shape them into a small bowl, just enough to fit into the hole of the toilet paper roll. Before you insert it, use a toothpick or a needle to poke small holes through it so that the smoke can pass through.
- Insert the bowl into the hole, but make sure it doesn’t touch the cardboard directly for your own safety because cardboard is easily flammable.
- Then, put the weed in your makeshift bowl, light it, and enjoy. If you have a separate bowl, you don’t have to make one out of aluminum foil, and just use the one you already have.
Pros & Cons
Steamrollers are great, but they do have some downsides:
- Very easy to make and use
- Easily accessible supplies
- Very affordable
- The taste is good
- Tends to be smelly
- Not reusable
- Bigger than an actual one-hitter
3. Apple One-Hitter Pipe
Apple pipes have been among the most popular DIY smoking devices for decades for numerous reasons, including accessibility, safety, taste, and ease of use.
Supplies You Will Need for Making a One-Hitter from an Apple
- An apple
How to Make a One-Hitter from an Apple
- Take your pen and empty it. You’ll only need the pen barrel to make a couple of holes. Start by making a hole to the side of the apple, and make sure it’s in the center. Push the pen all the way to the other side so that you end up with two holes. One of them will be the “mouthpiece” while the other will be the carb hole.
- Then, remove the stem and make another hole on the top of the apple so that it intersects with the hole that you made previously. Pull through the apple to test if there is enough airflow.
- Put some weed on the top of the apple and put your finger on the carbo hole. Light the weed and inhale from the other hole, and release the carb hole so the smoke can rush into your mouth.
Pros & Cons
There are hardly any cons to this method, but let us try:
- Very easy to make
- Easily accessible supplies
- Great taste
- Not toxic
- Can only be used once
4. Glass One-Hitter Pipe
The following method is truly a feat and a great challenge for DIY enthusiasts. If you’d rather make a DIY device that’s the closest to the real thing, this is it.
Supplies You Will Need for Making a One-Hitter from Glass
- Glass tube
- Dremel rotary tool
- Aluminum foil or metal screen
- Safety glasses
- Safety gloves
How to Make a One-Hitter from Glass
- First, put on your safety glasses and gloves as you’ll be working with glass. Prepare the Dremel tool with a fine sanding bit and start by gently rotating it around the bottom of the glass tube. Be careful and do it slowly, so that the bottom half can fall out on its own without breaking the surrounding glass.
- Once you’re done with that, clean the glass tube thoroughly to remove any remaining glass particles. It’s very important to clean the glass tube well to prevent inhaling the particles, as it can be very dangerous.
- When you’re sure that the tube is well-cleaned, you can go ahead and place the metal screen on the one end, or make a bowl with the aluminum foil, but don’t forget to poke tiny holes for the airflow.
- Load your new DIY one-hitter and you’re good to go.
Pros & Cons
Let’s see what the pros and cons of this method are:
- Can last a long time
- Difficult and potentially dangerous to make
5. Foil One-Hitter Pipe
One-hitter pipe made out of foil is another super easy method. However, be warned that aluminum foil or tin foil releases hazardous chemicals under high temperatures which can cause serious damage to the nervous system. While really easy to make, use this type of DIY one-hitter sparingly.
Supplies You Will Need for Making a One-Hitter from Foil
- Aluminum foil or tin foil
How to Make a One-Hitter from Foil
- Take a large piece of the foil and fold it in half, then fold it in half once again so that the final shape is a rectangle.
- Take the pen and start rolling the foil around it until all of the foil is tightly wrapped around the pen and you end up with a long and thin tube. Before you remove the pen, secure the foil by pressing it and slightly twisting it between your hands so that it stays firm.
- When that’s done, take out the pen and fold half an inch of one end of the tube upwards to make your bowl. Pull on the pipe to make sure it has airflow, and if it’s all good, load the bowl and smoke away.
Pros & Cons
While not an ideal method in terms of safety, the foil method is pretty easy. Let’s see the pros and the cons:
- Very easy to make
- Easily accessible supplies
- Taste is okay
- Can be very toxic if used often
- Can overheat and burn you
Other Ways to Make a One-Hitter Pipe
There are a few other ways to make a one-hitter pipe with household items that may seem a little outlandish, but we promise they work really well.
Take a carrot and drill a small hole through it. Then on one end carve a bowl to pack into. Try this method if you want to avoid worrying about potential toxins from smoking in random metals.
After an apple, using a carrot to make a one-hitter is the next best thing. It’s another all-natural pipe free of foreign chemicals that can be made in a few minutes.
To make a one-hitter pipe from a carrot you’ll need one medium-sized carrot, preferably even on all sides, a knife, and a screwdriver. Please make sure the screwdriver is clean and sanitized.
First, use the knife to make the bowl by carving out a circular indent on one end of the carrot. Make sure its depth is halfway through the carrot. Then, take the screwdriver and drive a hole through the carrot to meet the indent that you just carved. Finally, add your weed, light it, and toke on.
Here’s another vegetable that’s fun to smoke out of, but be warned, because your smoking session will be spicy! It’s the easiest DIY one-hitter so if you’re ever in a pinch and don’t have any tools, remember this trick.
All you need is one jalapeño pepper and that’s it. Remove the stem and bite off the other end. Place the weed on the end where the stem was, while the other end will be your mouthpiece. The jalapeño’s insides will act as a screen and you’ll get a nice peppery taste as you smoke.
Our final DIY one-hitter hack is to make one by using a glass eyedropper. While it might sound like an impossible feat, hear us out. Glass eyedroppers can be really handy for smoking weed because of their shape. Yes, they’re much tighter than a normal one-hitter, but many cannabis enthusiasts will confirm that you can smoke weed this way successfully.
First, get your eyedropper and remove the rubber part. Use a couple of small stems from your buds to act as a filter and put them inside the wider end of the eyedropper. Don’t push them too far down, about an inch at most would be enough. Next, push the weed through the same opening so that it covers the stems. Light up the weed and pull from the other end, and you’re done!
Warnings for People Smoking Homemade One-Hitter Pipes
One good thing about DIY weed pipes is that they can really get the job done well when you’re in a pinch. If you use cannabis regularly, you might find yourself in all kinds of situations, and sometimes you’ll have weed, but not your one-hitter.
However, you should know that smoking with DIY devices is not always safe. While apple bongs and carrot pipes may be pretty healthy, using any kind of plastic or aluminum can be hazardous. You should be aware of the toxicity of the materials you’re using for a DIY one-hitter before you do it, and only resort to using these materials if you don’t have anything else on hand. We strongly recommend that you inform yourself of the negative consequences of inhaling these compounds beforehand.
Finally, whatever supplies you’re using, make sure they’re thoroughly cleaned. Most supplies in the methods we provided are ones not intended for inhalation, so whether it’s a pen barrel or a screwdriver, make sure to wash them before use.
3 Reasons Why You Should Invest In a Legit One-Hitter
If you’ve been sleeping on one-hitters, it’s time to wake up, because these smoking devices are certainly worth trying, especially if they fit your weed habits and lifestyle. And even if one-hitters aren’t your go-to, they’re still a great backup option to have, especially when you want to change things up a bit. With that being said, there are many reasons why you should invest in a one-hitter, but here are the biggest three:
Reason 1 – They are convenient
If there’s one adjective that perfectly describes one-hitter weed pipes, it’s convenience. One-hitters are so convenient in that they’re super portable – you can carry one in your pocket or bag pocket at all times.
Most one-hitters come with a dugout, which is a small wooden box with two chambers, one designated for the ground nugs and the other to store the one-hitter. Basically, all you need to do is grind the weed with a grinder, fill the one-hitter dugout, put it in your pocket, and voilà! Dugouts also hold the smell of weed in well, so you won’t need to worry about it.
Reason 2 – They are cheap
Out of the many smoking accessories out there, one-hitters are among the most affordable. You won’t have to spend a fortune to get top-tier results. They usually go up to no more than $10 or $15, but you can easily find one for about $4. One-hitters are available in many different designs, from plain glass ones to more elaborate designs, so if you don’t care about the design that much, just a simple one-hitter shouldn’t cost more than $4-$7.
Reason 3 – They last a very long time
One-hitters are durable devices, and if you take care of your one-hitter properly, it can last you a very long time. Taking care of it properly means that you clean it regularly so that tar and resin don’t build up and clog your device. You should also be careful not to break it, especially if it’s a glass pipe. Most glass one-hitters are made out of durable glass, but it’s still glass and it can break. Metal ones are the most durable ones and they can easily last you for years.
What Is the Best One-Hitter Pipe?
One-hitter pipes can be found in all price and quality rangers. If you’re on a budget, you can look for some simple and affordable, but well-made pieces, like the DC Crafts Reusable “Cigarette” Accessory which is sold at $8.25.
The Grav Labs Glass Silicone Blunt is another great choice, often dubbed as the best classic piece, and it’s sold at $9.99. Alternatively, you can also check out the Dart, another popular and high-quality piece which also costs $9.99.
All three models work great, but they’re sold without dugouts, so you’ll either have to buy that separately or find another box to carry your cannabis in.
On the other hand, if you can spend more on this type of smoking accessory, and happen to be looking for a piece that’s stylish as well as functional, you can check out Stonedware’s geopipes which are exquisite porcelain handmade pieces sold at $80 and up.
Similarly, the Tetra Duo Pipes, sold at $50 and up, are sleek and stylish pieces you’ll probably never get tired of. But if you’re looking for something luxurious, we’d recommend the Colfax Dugout Kit from Elevate with a luxurious wooden dugout and a classic glass one-hitter at the price of $45. It makes a great present for yourself or for a fellow toker.
Are one-hitters good?
One-hitters are excellent smoking devices. They are very portable and convenient for when you’re on the go, they’re also discreet and they don’t produce as much odor as a regular joint or a blunt. They’re easy to clean and to use because you don’t need any rolling papers – all you have to do is press and twist the bowl end of the one-hitter into ground weed, and you’re good to go.
Another advantage of one-hitters is that they’re very affordable and come in different designs, and can last you for a long time. They’re perfect for microdosing and/or portion control throughout the day, if that’s your goal, but if you’re a heavier smoker, a one-hitter may not be enough for regular use, and you might want to try a water pipe, such as a bubbler, which is also a portable smoking device.
How many grams are in a one-hitter?
As the name implies, one-hitters can hold just enough weed for a single hit, which is approximately 25 milligrams.
What is the best material for a one-hitter?
One-hitters come in all shapes and styles and can be made from different materials, and they’re most commonly made out of metal (titanium or stainless steel), acrylic, or glass, and sometimes ceramic.
Glass, however, is the best and most popular material for a one-hitter because it produces a smooth taste and it’s easy to clean. However, since glass can be fragile, many users also opt for one-hitters made from other materials. Whichever you choose, you should know that it will impact the flavor. If the flavor is not that important to you, you can choose a titanium smoking pipe as the most durable.
Are one-hitters safe?
One-hitters are relatively safe smoking devices on multiple levels. First, they’re relatively small and uncomplicated to use, they’re safer for the health of your respiratory system since the amount of smoke you’re inhaling is small, and they’re safe dosage-wise, as the risk of taking too much is very small.
Do 1 hitters make you higher?
One-hitters do not make you higher compared to other common smoking methods, like joints or bongs, simply because the quantity of weed they’re designed to hold is very small, hence you won’t consume a lot of THC. An exception would be if you pack the one-hitter multiple times back-to-back and take several consecutive hits enough to get you really high. But, that’s not what one-hitters were designed for, so it’s better to use them as intended.
How often should I clean my one-hitter?
How often you should clean your one-hitter depends on how frequently you use it. Ideally, you should clean it after every use, but if you’re out and about, you can wait until you get home and clean it right away. If you don’t clean it regularly, the resin will build up and the airflow will be hampered, and it will basically be useless for smoking. The best way to clean it is to use a pipe cleaner and isopropyl alcohol soak before rinsing it well with water.
What is a one-hitter called?
One-hitters are also called bats, tasters, chillums, oneys, or hitter boxes. Whichever one of these slang words you come across, you’ll know that they all refer to the same thing – a one-hitter.
We already said it, one-hitters are some of the best smoking devices you can use. They’re discreet, portable, convenient, and easy to use, which makes them the perfect weed paraphernalia to have in your arsenal. One-hitters are great for when you want to control your doses or if you want to top up during the day but can’t commit to rolling a whole joint.
If you’re ever in a pinch when you want to smoke but don’t have a one-hitter, you can make one by using a variety of household items, starting with a pen or a toilet paper roll, to some fruits and vegetables, such as apples or carrots. Yes, there are ways! 🙂