The cannabis plant is one of the most popular and widely used controlled substances around the world. Both medical marijuana patients and recreational users consume weed as a method of administering potent cannabinoids like tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) to their bodies.
THC is the cannabinoid recreational users are interested in the most due to it being the main psychoactive constituent of cannabis. And while there are some minor side effects that can be experienced as a result of smoking weed, like a case of the munchies, cottonmouth, bloodshot eyes, and others, users are often looking for methods to increase the high.
To increase the effects of marijuana and the powerful psychoactive high that you get from cannabis, you can follow the advice we’ve provided for you below.
Change up Your Weed
Using only one weed strain that you continuously get from your favorite dispensary might be the reason why your high isn’t as potent as it used to be. Your tolerance levels to that particular strain might have increased, so maybe it’s time for a change. Your budtender can help you choose a more potent strain with a higher THC level by choosing from a variety of Indica, Sativa, or hybrid strains. If you’re not sure which strain to go for next, you can sample new terpene combinations and the unique effects that each strain provides (until you find the one that suits you best).
Store Your Weed Well
How you keep your weed can also influence the high you get from smoking it. After purchasing your weed, the best way to store it is in a glass or steel jar instead of a plastic container or the bag you bought it in. Make sure that you keep it in a dark, cool place at optimal humidity levels in order to avoid mold and mildew, as well as preserve the quality of the stash. And finally, use it while it’s still fresh. After a while, THC starts to degrade and convert to cannabinol (CBN), which gives a more sedative high, including the couch lock effect. For that reason, make sure you use your stash up before it loses its potency.
Change Your Consumption Method
Smoking weed isn’t the only way you can consume your favorite cannabinoids. There are other consumption methods which may give you a more potent high, and all you need to do is try them out. Some methods worth trying out include:
- Gravity bongs are one of the most preferred methods for marijuana consumption among users looking for a more potent high. Gravity bongs allow users to consume heavily concentrated smoke into the lungs which result in a stronger high.
- Bubblers and bongs allow you to inhale a larger and smoother hit while also giving you a filtering and cooling aspect.
- Vaporizers or vape pens have only increased in use in the past years. Vaping is marketed as a healthier smoking option since the vaporizer heats the cannabis at just the right temperature.
- Dabs are one of the consumption methods that enable you to get as high as possible. Dabs are cannabis concentrates that are processed with a solvent, and the final product, whether it’s shatter, wax, or butane hash oil, has the highest and most concentrated amounts of THC. You only need to purchase a dab rig, and you’re on your way to enjoying potent cannabis concentrates from the comfort of your own home.
- Pipes are as old school as joints and provide an intense high without filtrating the smoke which can potentially trap THC.
- Edibles like gummies, weed brownies, mints, and others provide a different type of high. The cannabinoids need to get through the digestive system after which they’re absorbed into the bloodstream and provide you with an intense high that can last for hours.
- One hitters are a perfect way to get an instant high for people who have a low weed tolerance since they only have one good hit in them.
You can try out different methods until you get to the one that’s best for you. However, edibles and dabs offer the most potent high out of all the other consumption methods.
Change Up Your Routine
If your highs are not as potent as before, maybe you’ve gotten used to your routine. Try smoking at other times of the day, maybe try hitting it up with new people, or even switch up the place you’re smoking in.
Smoke After a Workout
A lot of gym goers are starting to consume cannabis, and here’s why. After a good exercise session, the body releases endorphins that help ease the pain and leave you feeling good. This natural post-workout high will give you a good head start for the high you’ll experience after smoking marijuana. A 2013 study has shown that a quick cardio session can raise the THC levels in the blood by 15%.
Use Your Grinder
Ground-up weed allows an even burn, neater packing, as well as a better high – and it’s the best way to get the most out of your weed (assuming you’ve got a top-quality weed grinder). Grinding your weed also allows you to collect a potent powdery byproduct – kief. Kief is the white residue that gets stuck to your grinder after you grind up your weed and is also a very concentrated marijuana product. You can add it to your joint, sprinkle it on your bowl, or use it in edibles.
What You Eat Affects Your High
Since THC is fat-soluble, consuming foods that are high in healthy fats can increase the bioavailability of THC. Try implementing some foods rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids to help synthesize endocannabinoids and cannabinoid receptors.
Another good option if you want to increase the psychoactive effects of cannabis is to consume foods high in myrcene. Myrcene is a terpene that may help increase your high, and this method also involves enjoying some delicious mangoes which are high in myrcene.
A lot of other terpenes can boost your cannabis experience, you just need to do your research and find out which ones work best for you.
Knowing the proper inhalation technique is essential for a better high. If you’re new to smoking weed, you can benefit from our guide that explains how to take a hit of weed like a pro. When inhaling, you could benefit from using the 4-2-4 method which requires you to inhale for 4 seconds, hold your breath for 2, and exhale for 4 seconds. Make sure you inhale some fresh oxygen as well to help push the smoke further into the lungs.
Take a “Tolerance Break”
To get a more intense high the next time you smoke weed, taking a tolerance break is probably one of the best options. Try limiting your smoking to certain days, or even quit weed for a few weeks or even a month to allow your body to completely flush out the cannabinoids. Believe us, the next time you smoke weed after your pause, you’ll feel as powerful a high as you can get.
The Takeaway on Getting the Best High From Your Weed
Getting a more potent high is the ultimate goal for a lot of regular cannabis users who have built up their tolerance levels. If you’re among them, you can try our advice for improving your cannabis experience which involves:
- Changing your weed strain;
- Storing your weed well;
- Changing your consumption method;
- Changing your routine;
- Consuming weed after a workout;
- Grinding your weed;
- Eating good complementary foods;
- Inhaling properly;
- Taking a tolerance break.