There probably isn’t a single person out there who doesn’t picture weed brownies the second someone mentions cannabis edibles. These fudgy edibles are hard to resist on their own, and especially so when they have some canna goodness in them.
If you’ve only bought pot brownies from a dispensary and are ready to make some of your own for the first time, in this article we give you four different marijuana brownies recipes to choose from. Pick your recipe, grab your whisk, and let’s go.
The Classic Pot Brownie Recipe With Dried Flowers
The classic pot brownies recipe is best made with dried flowers as they contain the most THC and CBD content, however, trim can work too. This recipe is similar to making regular brownies, but it does include heating the weed at a high temperature in order to activate the psychoactive properties of cannabinoids. This process is called decarboxylation and it needs to be done prior to combining the ingredients.
How to Decarboxylate
Despite the complicated-sounding name, decarbing weed is a simple process, although it requires patience. You shouldn’t skip this because otherwise, your magic brownies won’t have any magic in them. Heat is what makes this magic possible.
To decarb, preheat the oven at 240°F. Place the weed on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and put it in the oven. You should bake it for no more than 50 minutes, or less, depending on how fast it decarbs. Check on the weed often and stir it every 15-20 minutes so it can decarb evenly and not burn. When the color changes to yellowish-brownish, then it’s done. Finally, when it’s decarbed, grind it into smaller pieces.
Now, you’re ready to start making the magic brownies. This recipe makes for 8 single servings.
- 4 eggs
- 100 g butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 200 g cooking chocolate (for melting)
- 4 g weed
- Preheat the oven at 248°F.
- Chop the chocolate into smaller pieces and put it in a saucer together with the butter. Put the saucepan on the stove on medium to low heat and stir until they’re combined.
- Separately, in a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar, then slowly add the flour.
- Once combined, pour the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl and stir.
- Finally, add the decarbed cannabis and combine all the ingredients well.
- Pour the batter into a baking pan and bake for 60 minutes at 248°F. You can use a toothpick to check if it’s done – if the toothpick comes out clean, it’s ready.
- Set the baking pan on a wire rack to cool to room temperature and enjoy!
If you’re not a fan of the grassy flavor of marijuana, you can add some mint leaves into the batter to mask it, but it’s not necessary.
Fudgy Weed Brownies With Cannabis Butter
Cannabis butter, or cannabutter, is one of the most versatile weed edibles ever. It’s basically a weed-infused butter that adds a little special something to whatever dish you add it to, whether sweet or savory. This time, we added it to fudgy marijuana brownies, so if you can find cannabutter in your local dispensary or make some yourself, this recipe is for you.
- 1/4 cup cannabutter
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup regular sugar
- 340 g dark chocolate
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven at 350°F and butter or oil spray a baking pan.
- Combine the chocolate, cannabutter, and regular butter together in a saucepan and melt them on low heat, but be very careful not to burn them. Then, add in the brown sugar, regular sugar, and salt, and stir until combined. Set aside to cool a little.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs with the vanilla extract until foamy. If the chocolate mixture has cooled a little by now, add it slowly to the egg mixture while stirring. If it’s still very hot, give it 5-10 minutes more before adding it.
- Now, carefully whisk in the flour so there are no clumps and the batter is smooth, but don’t overmix, the batter should be thick.
- Pour it into the baking pan and bake for about 20-25 min at 350°F, or until the top is glossy and crunchy. Leave them to cool before cutting them into pieces.
Vegan Cannabis Brownies With Cannabis Oil
Cannabis oil is a vegetable oil that’s been infused with cannabis, and it’s another versatile edible that can be used in a variety of dishes. The base of cannabis oil can be any vegetable oil – olive, canola, avocado, coconut oil, whichever you prefer.
Just like cannabutter, you can make your own cannabis oil, or you can buy it from a dispensary. This recipe uses coconut cannabis oil, but you can swap it with a different type. It’s a vegan-friendly option that doesn’t include any dairy or eggs.
- 2 tbsp coconut cannabis oil
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (dairy-free)
- 1/2 cup self-raising baking flour
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2/3 cup plant milk
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven at 350°F and line the baking pan with parchment paper.
- Put the chocolate chips into a heat-proof glass bowl and place the bowl over boiling water to melt it gently without burning. When melted, set aside.
- In a different bowl, first, combine the dry ingredients by sifting the flour and the cocoa powder, and then add in the salt and caster sugar.
- Next, add the cannabis oil, plant milk, melted chocolate, and vanilla chocolate, and stir well.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350°F. Use a toothpick to check if the brownies are done.
Gluten-Free Pot Brownies
Most brownie recipes use ingredients that are not suitable for people with celiac disease or those who don’t eat gluten. Thankfully, there’s a recipe that doesn’t include any gluten and it’s just as good! For this recipe, you can use both cannabutter or cannabis oil, and because of the consistency of the brownies, it’s better to use a muffin pan.
- 1/4 cup cannabutter or cannabis oil
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp liquid stevia
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven at 350°F and grease the muffin pan.
- In one mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients – the almond flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk in the remaining ingredients – the eggs, cannabutter or cannabis oil, coconut oil, and stevia.
- Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well, and then add in the honey and mix well again.
- Finally, pour the batter into the muffin pan and bake for about 20 minutes at 350°F. Use a toothpick to check if they’re done and leave them a little longer if they aren’t. When they’re ready, set them on the counter to cool before you take them out of the pan and munch on them.
Can You Use a Brownie Mix to Make Pot Brownies?
When you’re feeling lazy, but still want to make some weed brownies in a flash, sure, you can use a brownie mix. Look for a brownie mix that requires the use of oil for the brownies so you can replace the regular vegetable oil with cannabis oil. Everything else is basically the same – follow the instructions on the package and enjoy your pot brownies!
One Important Tip on Dosing
Marijuana brownies are just as delicious as regular brownies, so it’s easy to reach for seconds. However, much like all cannabis edibles, don’t let the gooey chocolate fool you for they are potent! If you’re not very experienced with edibles or even using cannabis in general, have half a brownie first. Or better yet, have a quarter.
Cannabis edibles take somewhere between 30 to 90 minutes to digest and start working, but the high lasts longer. So keep this in mind and maybe have some other snacks on hand to satisfy the munchies and keep yourself from taking too much.