Most cannabis enthusiasts who are also fans of edibles like weed brownies. They’re great for get-togethers, camping trips, or when you’re just chilling at home and want to munch on a cannabis-infused treat.
Out of all the cannabis edibles, brownies must be the most popular ones. And while buying them from a dispensary is easy enough, it’s trickier when you make them at home because you have to know how to dose them so they’re not too weak, but not too intense either.
Therefore, in today’s article, we’ll talk about how much weed you need to use to make some delicious pot brownies and how to calculate the milligrams of THC you will get per serving.
There Are Two Ways of Making Weed Brownies
There are many versions of the regular brownie recipe, but when it comes to making weed brownies, there are two main ways to make them, depending on how you add the weed. The old-fashioned, classic way of making weed brownies is to add dry cannabis flowers or trim to the batter. The other, more “modern” way is to make the brownies using cannabis butter or cannabutter.
Both ways have their pros and cons and both will give you fudgy, potent brownies. It all depends on your preference and what you have in the fridge. Cannabutter can be purchased in dispensaries just like any other cannabis edible, but you can also make a batch yourself.
Whether you choose to make your brownies with cannabutter or dry herbs, you should know that raw cannabis is not psychoactive and it needs to be decarboxylated before you use it in any recipe.
What Is Decarboxylation?
Decarboxylation is the chemical process that occurs when weed is exposed to high heat. Raw cannabis contains the inactive forms of the cannabinoids which activate when you expose weed to higher temperatures.
To decarboxylate the weed, all you need to do is break it up into smaller pieces and spread it on a tray lined with baking paper. Put it in the oven at 220-235 degrees Fahrenheit and bake it for about 30-40 minutes, while checking on it frequently. Stir the weed from time to time to help it decarb evenly. It’s done when its color turns from green to brownish/yellowish-green or after around 30-40 minutes, sometimes even sooner.
Then, leave it to cool at room temperature and use a grinder to grind it coarsely. Avoid grinding it into a powder to avoid a grassy punch. You can use any Indica, Sativa, or hybrid you want.
How to Whip Up Cannabutter at Home
We included an easy-to-follow recipe if you’re keen on making cannabutter yourself. It’s not only good for making marijuana brownies, but also for many other dishes, and you can even put it on your toast. Cannabutter is easy to make, but you will need to spare a few hours.
To make cannabutter, you will need to use 1 cup of unsalted butter and 1 cup of decarbed cannabis, as well as half a cup of water. You can use less weed if you want to make it less potent.
- Set the stove to low heat and combine the water and butter in a heavy-bottomed pan. It helps if you slice the butter into smaller pieces so it can melt more easily.
- When the butter has melted, add the decarbed cannabis and stir well. Don’t increase the heat and keep stirring every 10 minutes or so to prevent it from burning.
- The cannabutter should simmer on low heat for about 2-3 hours which is enough time for THC and CBD to be extracted and incorporated into the butterfat. If the mixture starts to look too thick at any point before the time is up, just add some more water.
- When it’s done, set it aside and wait for it to cool down to room temperature. Then, use a strainer or a cheesecloth to strain it and pour the infused butter into an airtight container (a mason jar is the best).
The cannabutter will keep in the fridge for about 2 weeks, and in the freezer for about three months.
How Much Weed Do You Need for Marijuana Brownies?
It’s important to know the exact amount of cannabis you will be using as this will determine the potency of your edibles. Whether you make the brownies with cannabis butter or dry herbs, the THC content will determine how much weed you will use in the end. This will ensure more precise dosing because we all know that homemade edibles can turn out more potent than you originally thought and give you an unpleasant experience.
Let’s see how you can calculate the THC content per serving.
Let’s say you have 15 gr of weed and the strain you’re using has 18% THC. That being said, you should remember that 1 gram of cannabis is 1000 mg in dry weight. To calculate how many milligrams of THC are in that 15 gr of weed, you should use the following formula:
15 x 1000 x 0.18 = 2700
In other words, the 15 grams of cannabis you have contain a total of 2700 mg THC. You can then divide the number into the number of brownie servings to get a more accurate dosage per serving.
The Ultimate Pot Brownie Recipes
Let’s see three awesome recipes for making pot brownies – one with dry herbs, one with cannabutter made from scratch, and another one with a brownie mix when you’re too lazy for anything else. These are the basic versions, but you can add some optional ingredients, if you like, like chopped nuts or icing on top.
Dry Herb Weed Brownies, the Old Fashioned Recipe
This is a classic recipe that uses dry herbs and it makes for 8 servings. Since it uses weed as is, the brownies will have a slight weed flavor that some people might not like. To mask it, you can add some mint leaves, if you want.
- 100 gr unsalted butter or vegan butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 200 gr unsweetened chocolate
- 4 gr ground weed (cannabis flowers, trim, whatever you’re using)
- Preheat the oven to 248 degrees Fahrenheit. In the meantime, combine the butter and the chocolate in a heavy-bottomed pan and put them on low heat to melt. You can do the same in the microwave or in a heatproof bowl over a pot of boiling water.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugar and beat them together until creamy.
- Next, add the flour and combine the mixture well, making sure there are no lumps.
- Then add the melted chocolate and butter mixture. Keep pouring it slowly with one hand while you mix with the other.
- Finally, add the dry herbs and fold them into the brownie mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a square pan lined with a baking sheet.
- Bake it at 248 degrees Fahrenheit for 60 minutes and use a toothpick to check on the progress. Bake it for longer if it feels too gooey. When it’s done, leave it to cool a bit and then cut it into 8 pieces.
The Modern Cannabutter Brownies
This recipe calls for cannabutter and it’s a more modern twist on the classic pot brownie recipe. Many people like this version because the weed aroma is much more discreet.
- 2/3 cup cannabutter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and butter a square baking pan.
- Add the eggs to a mixing bowl with the paddle attachment on the mixer and beat them at low speed. Add the cannabutter and the sugar one by one and continue beating the mixture for about 10 minutes.
- In a different bowl, sift the dry ingredients (cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt). Then, slowly add the egg and cannabutter mixture, and the vanilla, and combine them well until there are no lumps. Don’t stir it too much.
- Pour the brownie batter into the pan you prepared beforehand and bake it for about 35 minutes. Again, use a toothpick to check on the progress. When it’s done, leave it to cool before cutting into brownie squares.
Brownie Mix for Lazy Days
You can also use a brownie mix for when you’re in a hurry or you’re too lazy to commit to starting from scratch. Since a brownie mix recipe usually calls for oil, you can use cannabis oil instead of regular oil and follow everything else as usual. Cannabis oil is made very similarly to cannabutter, but for more detailed instructions, you can find our full recipe here.
You can make brownies the old school way by using dry herbs or you can make them by using cannabutter – both recipes will get the job done, plus you’ll get to eat something delicious.
If you end up making them with cannabutter, you will have to dedicate a few hours to make the cannabutter if you can’t buy it from a dispensary, but beware of how much weed you use for it because it can result in some very potent brownies. Alternatively, you can use a brownie mix and substitute the vegetable oil with cannabis oil.